Sean Armstrong wrote:
> On 9/15/05, Phlip <phlipcpp / yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Steve wrote:
>>

>>>I'm considering learning Ruby. I have no programming experience yet. I
>>>was wondering if it's possibly to write applications in Ruby that can
>>
>>use
>>
>>>and change the data in my MS Access files.
>>
>>Absolutely. Database are designed to access a wide warehouse of data
>>through
>>a narrow interface. Narrow interfaces are easy to port to new languages.
>>Ruby will see tables of data, just like Visual Basic or C++ will.
>>

> Does anyone have any good code examples? The hardest thing for people like
> Steve, and myself, is that the documentation for these items are very
> limited and not very revealing to newbies. For instance, I could not find a
> single code example for connecting to a SQL database, let alone Access, in
> the Pickaxe book. So if anyone has any good code examples for manipulating
> data in Access or MySQL, I would like to see it here.
>
> Thanks.
> SA

Ok, this isn't 'good' but short and shows that it is realy easy to
connect to ms access.

require 'dbi'

DBI.connect("DBI:ODBC:driver=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);"+
     "dbq=C:/path/to/my/db.mdb") do |dbh|

     dbh.select_all('select * from myTable') {|row| p row}

I guess it's so damm easy, nobody who figured it out writes HOWTO's.

cheers

Simon