On 9/14/05, Masayoshi Takahashi <maki / rubycolor.org> wrote:
>   [ruby-dev:26895] Enumerable#count
>
> Satoru Takabayashi wrote a table of methods of Array
> in Ruby, Python, JavaScript, Perl and C.
>
>   http://namazu.org/~satoru/blog/archives/000043.html
>
> When he wrote it, he found that Ruby doesn't have
> a method such as a.count(x) in Python. He wanted
> to add Enumerable#count into Ruby.
>
> But in his next mail, he found that Enumerable#nitems
> has block like a.nitems{|e| e == x}. He guessed it
> may be enough to do.

I think that it would not be a bad idea to add Enumerable#count as an
alias for Enumerable#nitems, as while #nitems is somewhat sensible, it
doesn't leap out as a "count items that are like this" method to me. I
would tend to favour #select with #size or #inject if said method does
not exist.

>   [ruby-dev:26924] enumerator
> Nobuyoshi Nakada made a patch to return Enumerator
> object when Enumerable method is called without
> block. It's applied to each or each-like methods
> in Array, Dir, Hash, IO, Range, String and Struct.
>
>   http://www.rubyist.net/~nobu/ruby/enumerator.diff

Um. Any chance of seeing this in Ruby 1.8.x? I'm supposing this is
instead of a LocalJumpError.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com