C# is The Devil, capital "T" capital "D," plain and simple.  There is
nothing to set C# apart from Java, except for the impossibly huge .NET
framework for developing a billion different kinds of applications.
While I have to use it for various projects at work, I can say that
I've never enjoyed any of those except for the console applications
which felt just like writing simple Java apps.  Of course, any business
that is a self-proclaimed "Microsoft Shop" (read: "ignorant of anything
else") is going to perpetuate these situations.  I'm trying hard, but
most of the systems at my place of employment are Windows-based, and
sneaking Ruby in is a real trick.  I've gotten more done with Ruby on
my own desktop, though, than anything else.