Rubies:

Here's a nice advocacy anecdote. A colleague vents, "So they hired him to
write the GUI, and he insisted on using C# because he claimed it would be
portable. So after he wrote a ton of cruft and we got rid of him, I tried to
build Mono for Linux, and there were no RPMs, so I know how to build source
right? The dependency chain was a mile long, and I spent almost two weeks at
it..."

That's like 20 or 30 engineering hours down the drain, folks...

Me: "Jeeze this stuff is obvious; that's why I always get permission before
picking a language."

Colleague: "Of course!"

Me: "Except Ruby." [He knows I maintain portability by actually porting as I
go...]

Colleague: "Natch."

Don'tcha just love backing the winning horse that everyone else thinks is
going to lose? The Java & .NET sectors of the industry are in a pitiful
condition, and the bosses who grew up with C++ just keep asking for more...

--
  Phlip
  http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand  <-- NOT a blog!!!