On 9/14/05, Jim Menard <jim.menard / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/14/05, Jim Freeze <jim / freeze.org> wrote:
> > Thanks Jim
> >
> > I'm really surprised this has not already been requested.
>
> I'm not. If I'm not mistaken, Make and Ant both assume that you are
> running the makefile/Ant build file from the directory in which the
> file exists. All path names are relative to that file, not to the file
> in which you happen to be running the script.
>
> I always write my {rm}akefiles and build.xml files so that everything
> happens relative to the top-level directory where the file lives.

Maybe I just don't understand. Assume you have the following:

  proj/
     [RM]akefile
     dira/
       a.c
     dirb/
       b.c

How do you write the [RM]akefile such that if in proj/dira/,
that it knows how to compile a.c? Without the orginal_dir,
the only information you have is that the cwd is proj/ and
you want to compile some file.

--
Jim Freeze