Robert Klemme wrote:
> Hm, on one hand I agree to you as this seems natural.  On the other hand
> this introduces a dependency from String (a very basic class) to your
> digest classes (not so basic).

That's why I think String#digest should be defined by the Digest
class/module. You will still have to do a

   require "digest"

 > Also, you would have to maintain String#digest

I don't think that's a problem; it's the same now, you just have to
instantiate the classes yourself. If another algorithm is added to the
Digest module it would be easy to add it to #digest as well.

 >>Cheers and remember Talk Like A Pirate Day the 19th,
 > What's that?  Do pirates actually talk?

Arrr, ye landlubber! We be talkin' all day! Yaargh!

Ahoy mateys!
Daniel "Swashbuckler" Schierbeck ;)