Randy Kramer wrote:

> Maybe there are two different products percolating here.  I wonder if Hal is
> familiar enough with the the object databases/persistence mechanisms already
> available in Ruby (at least I think they exist) to say specifically to their
> developers what more he is looking for?

I'm not familiar enough with those, but I'd be happy to know that what
I'm
looking for already exists. :) I'd still use KirbyBase for the smaller
problems anyhow.

Some of the things I like about KB are:

1. A clean Rubylike interface
2. Plain text files
3. Option to encrypt/obscure text
4. Single-line text like a CSV (not paragraphs like YAML)
5. Built-in drb support
6. Single-file library, pure Ruby, no dependencies
7. Doesn't store the whole thing in memory at once
8. Data files completely portable across platforms
9. Easily allows complex queries using code blocks

#1 might be easy to come by, #2 also. #3 less so.
#4, beats me. #5, I doubt it. Others, dunno.

In connection with #8, note that on more than on occasion I
have found it impossible to move a DBM data file from one
Linux to another and open it (much less Linux to Windows).

If there is an existing solution like this, please let me
know. Or if there is one "close" that has a very open-minded
developer. :)

I'm not *totally* married to the "single-file" idea. If a
solution is to wrap an ORM around KB, that would be OK
with me.

So, what's out there?

Hal