On Tuesday 13 September 2005 12:00 am, Kevin Brown wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2005 20:41, debbie / theanimaro.com wrote:
> > I don't understand how that conflicts with my idea of "you must submit
> > any changes you make to the author, even if you aren't distributing the
> > application to anyone".
> >
> > Regarding point (1), they can create a competing branch, but if they're
> > going to run game servers based on my code that compete with mine and
> > they make improvements to their game servers, I'd want them to release
> > their improvements to the public. And regarding point (2), they don't
> > need my permission to make changes, they just need to distribute those
> > changes.
> >
> > Remember, I'm not talking about typical desktop software here; I'm
> > talking about server software. I don't want people using my code base
> > create competing game servers that are closed-source; that's all...
>
> I now have a much better idea where you're coming from.  I'm still not sure
> if you'll find what you're looking for...  Perhaps you should state that
> your license is GPL with the explicit provision that allowing a client to
> connect to the server is in effect distributing a portion of the
> application, thereby forcing any changes that have been made to that
> version to also come under the terms of the GPL?  (I'm not a lawyer)

I would suggest that you join two other mail lists, lurk a little while, and
then ask your question there.

Darn, I can't find the second mail list, iirc, it was something like
"license-discuss@"<somewhere>, and the other is fsb / crynwr.com.  (I'm
guessing that you could find the first by Googling, and (guessing again) that
you can subscribe to either with the typical "-request"/'subscribe"
"trick" (add -request to, e.g., fsb, and then send an email to that address
with "subscribe" in the subject and body of the email.

The point about servers is, iirc, one of the issues that the new version of
the GPL (version 3) is struggling to deal with.

I'll be cusious as to the conclusion you come to, so post back on this list.

Let me go check Google for "license-discuss"--ahh there it is, but I got the
subscription approach wrong: "To subscribe, send mail to
license-discuss-subscribe / opensource.org".  (I'm about to resubscribe, as it
seems that I haven't seen anything from them in quite a while, yet the list
appears to still be active based on the archives.)

BTW, the focus of license-discuss is approval (or disapproval) of new open
source licenses (there is an effort going on to avoid proliferation of
licenses with similar but slightly different terms), and the focus of fsb is
"free software businesses", i.e., finding ways to create and sustain
businesses based on free/open software.

hope this helps, and sorry for not having a "pat" answer--the subject of how
to deal with servers is unresolved

regards,
Randy Kramer