On 12-Sep-05, at 10:41 PM, debbie / theanimaro.com wrote:
> I don't understand how that conflicts with my idea of "you must submit
> any changes you make to the author, even if you aren't distributing the
> application to anyone".

Well your idea here wouldn't stand up in a court of law (in the USA or
Canada, probably other countries depending on their "Fair Use"
copyright provisions). I can, for example, take a piece of your
software and redistribute it under the "Fair Use" copyright provision
under some circumstances (for example, parody); and not be hindered by
your copyright on that code, so how do you expect to be able to enforce
this? Most copyright laws allow for a handful of situations where
copyright may be "circumvented" (not the right word, but I can't think
of the right word right now); and in these cases, you have no rights to
enforce any of the rights granted to you under copyright law. I suggest
you consult the copyright law in your country for more information on
these restrictions (if they exist).

> Remember, I'm not talking about typical desktop software here; I'm
> talking about server software. I don't want people using my code base
> create competing game servers that are closed-source; that's all...

The law doesn't care (in most jurisdictions I'm familiar with) if
you're writing a poem or a piece of software, it's all the same under
copyright law. So naturally, the distinction between "server software"
and "desktop software" does not exist.

--
Jeremy Tregunna
jtregunna / blurgle.ca

"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be
the process of putting them in." --Dykstra