debbie / theanimaro.com wrote:

>>But when you really think about it, the POINT of free software is to
>>allow you to take someone else's work and create a competing branch if
>>that's what needs to be done, so I'm guessing you'll have a hard time
>>finding a pre-made open source license that does what you're looking
>>for.  The GPL specifically is careful to make sure future changes
>>don't need the permission of the current author, and that's a good
>>thing for free software IMHO.
>>

>Regarding point (1), they can create a competing branch, but if they're
>going to run game servers based on my code that compete with mine and
>they make improvements to their game servers, I'd want them to release
>their improvements to the public. And regarding point (2), they don't
>need my permission to make changes, they just need to distribute those
>changes.

I don't belive there are any well known licenses that will meet #2.
(unless they are distributing it)

>Remember, I'm not talking about typical desktop software here; I'm
>talking about server software. I don't want people using my code base
>create competing game servers that are closed-source; that's all...

The GPL would pretty much cover this requirement... but it doesn't
require that the person who downloads and modifies it do anything to
redistribute it. However, if they are distributing it in binary form,
then they are required to provide sources.

You can prevent them from selling it and distributing it.. but if they
take your code and build a huge server farm running off your code base
and keep it in-house, they can't be required to give the changes to you
or anyone.

-Robby