> But when you really think about it, the POINT of free software is to
> allow you to take someone else's work and create a competing branch if
> that's what needs to be done, so I'm guessing you'll have a hard time
> finding a pre-made open source license that does what you're looking
> for.  The GPL specifically is careful to make sure future changes
> don't need the permission of the current author, and that's a good
> thing for free software IMHO.

I agree to the two things that you stated above: (1) "allow you to take
someone else's work and create a competing branch", and (2) "future
changes don't need the permission of the current author".

I don't understand how that conflicts with my idea of "you must submit
any changes you make to the author, even if you aren't distributing the
application to anyone".

Regarding point (1), they can create a competing branch, but if they're
going to run game servers based on my code that compete with mine and
they make improvements to their game servers, I'd want them to release
their improvements to the public. And regarding point (2), they don't
need my permission to make changes, they just need to distribute those
changes.

Remember, I'm not talking about typical desktop software here; I'm
talking about server software. I don't want people using my code base
create competing game servers that are closed-source; that's all...