On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Christian Neukirchen wrote:

> "Zed A. Shaw" <zedshaw / zedshaw.com> writes:
>
>> This basically means that, I have three choices as I see it:
>>
>> 	1) Ruby/Event becomes completely evil and redefines Thread's
>> 	initialize so that it throws an exception telling you to not
>> 	use threads.  Ugh.
>
>> 	2) Implement DRb using Myriad so that people can get the
>> 	advantages of threads without using them.  Also ugh.  No
         [...]
>> 	3) Abandon Ruby/Event entirely and just base a new
>> 	implementation of Myriad on the Ruby thread stuff.  I know you
         [Performance implication...]

> Or,     4) Become a great Ruby hacker and replace the Ruby thread select()
>        completely with libevent. ;-)

   or,   5) Contribute to the threading code in some other way which
         would make life easier for people including yourself.

This is suggested because you seem to have familiarity with the
issue that multithreaded programs create, which is a subtle area, so
you could well provide something helpful.  Obviously the main
obstacle is becoming familiar enough with the internals that you can
do this confidently, but it sounds like you are well on the way
there already, if you haven't actually arrived.

         Hugh