----- Original Message -----
From: Glen Starchman <glen / enabledventures.com>
To: ruby-talk ML <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 8:28 PM
Subject: [ruby-talk:15571] Re: I like ruby-chan ...

> On Tue, 22 May 2001, Rob Armstrong wrote:
> > Ruby is more human(e) than Python.  We already have too many animals
:-).

> > Suggestion:
> > Her holding the Ruby (stone) in her hand is a little obvious.  How 'bout
> > a belt buckle?  Ruby Slippers may be too subtle for an icon (besides I
> > don't know how many Japanese know about Oz).
>
> Rubi-chan (notice the Japanese spelling) is cute! A perfect mascot if
> there ever was one.  How about just Ruby-chan holding a, well, ruby in
> her hand?

Hi Rob, Glen,

I also think the Rubi-chan logo is cute.

That's why I don't like it.  :)  And the ruby-crowned kinglet is, well,
even cuter, if you get my meaning.  Just my opinion. Nothing
personal against those who may [like|have designed] them.

But one more comment about Rub[iy]-chan. Don't forget these
comments from a female Rubyist a few weeks back:

> In this thread, I've seen a few people mention that they'd like some sort
of
> sexy woman for the mascot. I'd just like to point out that if a sexy woman
> becomes Ruby's mascot, you risk alienating some people.
>
> One of the greatest asset a technology can have is its community, and
that's
> often why I check out news groups, mailing lists, etc. when investigating
> something new.  If a logo or mascot gives people the impression that Ruby
is
> a boys' club, this can be a real turn off. By boys' club I don't mean a
> community that's mostly male (I assume the Ruby community is like this
now),
> but a group that would make it difficult for women to feel accepted.

Now, I don't like the specter of Political Correctness that is haunting the
USA...
in my lexicon, PC means Personal Computer.  :)  And let's not get onto that
kind of topic here.

But having said that: Her point is well taken.

I don't want to be PC for the sake of being PC. But I do wish to encourage
the
participation of women in a male-dominated profession. And I do wish to
promote an inclusive atmosphere, I wish to be cosmopolitan in my dealings
with people, and above all these, I wish to practice common courtesy.

Just my three cents' worth.

Hal