Hi --

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Jay Levitt wrote:

> In article <49958C10-DAD0-4E7C-B9AB-44C6D314A637 / refinery.com>,
> gavin / refinery.com says...
>> My personal mental model says that #puts is for outputting content
>> that is the desired output of your program (unlike #warn). An ERB
>> template is a parametrized program in its own right, and its output
>> is the resulting string. If you want debug output, use #warn.
>
> Agreed.  I find it interesting that most of the responders to the thread
> aren't active in the Rails group; Rails is where this sort of thing
> *really* would be nice.

I love Rails and I use it quite a lot.  But I like ERB to behave
in the consistent, non-special-cased way it now does, which is
perfectly straightforward given how method calls work in Ruby (which
is a matter of public record :-)  I also don't like the idea of
changing things around in the language because the changes would suit
a given application, project, or framework (though in this case, for
me, that's a moot point because I don't think it would be suitable
anyway).

David

--
David A. Black