rubyhacker / gmail.com wrote:
[interesting anecdote snipped]
> Some of my basic principles are:
>
> 1. Software should be my servant, not my master.
> 2. My servant should be smart and read my mind whenever
> possible. I don't want to micromanage him.
> 3. At the same time, if I have very complex or specific needs,
> I want him to be able to accept micromanagement.
> 4. In connection with #2, common or ordinary actions should be
> easy.
> 5. In connection with #3, infrequent or extraordinary actions
> may be more complex. (Think Zipf's Law. Also remember DHH's
> "say no by default.")

I heartily agree with these principles. In fact I'd go so far as to say
these principles can apply to all technology, not just software. Even
though I'm a computer engineer and love technology, I still fear that in
many ways we are becoming slaves to it, and not the other way around.

So in this way I try my best to pull back at times and look at the big
picture to ask myself: "how is this making my life better?" Because
sometimes I'm just playing with technology for the sake of playing with
technology. This isn't bad in all cases, but it can be if that is all
you ever do.

> This to me is the essence of why I like Ruby (and by extension
> why I like Rails).

Same here.

> Now, how does this relate to KirbyBase? I'll get into specifics
> later on.

I look forward to reading more.

Ryan