On Tue, 22 May 2001, Ashley Roeckelein wrote:
> OK, thanks for the reply matz.  I will stick with symbols for now...  I
> like the symbol notation better than the string notation anyway, the :
> being kind of like the ' in Lisps.

It's closely like the # in SmallTalk. It is a very constrained version of
Lisp's quote: it is a quote that only applies to symbols. In constrast,
Lisp's quote can be wrapped around any kind of expression, transforming it
into a literal:

(+ 2 2) returns 4
'(+ 2 2) returns (+ 2 2)

The equivalent in ruby would be to add something like a %e{} block, which
would return instances of subclasses of RubyNode, if those classes were
visible from Ruby programs, which they are not and won't for the
foreseeable future.

> FYI, my "learn Ruby" program is a Prolog-in-Ruby (I know I know - good
> lord, why?), and it is coming along nicely!  I am very impressed with
> Ruby's powers so far!  Bravo!

Please, please, please publish this once you're done or half-done.

matju