* James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Oliver Cromm wrote:
>
>> So I have a script with these settings (currently as Constants in the
>> script)
>>
>> SERVER = news.example.org
>> PORT = 100
>> USER = myname
>> PASS = topsecret
>>
>> How do I put this in a YAML file and load it into my Ruby script? All
>> ways I can think of are clumsy. Or shouldn't I?
>
> The first thought that pops into my head is to store these options in
> a Hash, then YAML that back and forth.

Well, by 'clumsy' I meant exactly something like

|  login(Options['server'], Options['port'], Options['user'], Options['pass'])

and so on throughout the script.

> If you're really attached to the constants though, write a method
> that finds them via reflection, builds the Hash, and YAML stores it.
> Then write another method to reverse the process.  Shout if you get
> stuck on any of that and I will help...

I don't know what reflection means in this context, but am I guessing
right that we are talking about something (maybe something more elegant)
that has the same *effect* as:

def getOptions
  Options = YAML.load_file(OPTFILE)
  SERVER = Options['server']
  PORT = Options['port']
Oliver C.
45n31, 73w34
Temperatur: 24 (Humidex: 27) (6 September 2005 2:00 PM EDT)