On Sep 5, 2005, at 11:07 PM, Morgan wrote:

> James Edward Gray II wrote:
>

>> A very basic quick solution I thew together.  This only works on Unix
>> (requires stty).  If you want to play with scripting it, run once,
>> then edit ~/.mud_client_rc:
>>

> Well, since I have no unix available, I can't try this myself. But
> I have
> a couple questions.

I'll be happy to answer them.

>> require "io/wait"
>>

> What's this do for you? (My ruby install doesn't seem to have it...)

I was under the impression that this is a standard library, but it
may just be a Unix tool.

It adds the method ready?() to IO objects, among other things.  I use
this to see if STDIN has input waiting from the user.  I only read
STDIN character by character with a ready?() check each time before I
do, so I can keep watching the MUD for output.

> Also, does this client handle lines coming from the mud that don't
> end with "\n"? (AKA, can you log into rom.org:9000 and see the login
> prompt?)

No, it doesn't and that's quite a weakness.  Good point.  That's
something that would need to be fixed to make this a serious option.

> (Ironically enough, though I started working on a client before
> this quiz
> was mentioned, I won't have time to get it to releasable levels
> until next
> week...)

Post it when you're done, if you would like.  I'm sure we would all
love to see it.

James Edward Gray II