On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, William James wrote:

> Mine:
>
> build: i686-pc-mswin32
> build_os: mswin32
> host: i686-pc-mswin32
> host_os: mswin32
> target: i386-pc-mswin32
> target_os: mswin32
>
> Yours:
>
> build: i686-pc-cygwin
> build_os: cygwin
> host: i686-pc-cygwin
> host_os: cygwin
> target: i686-pc-cygwin
> target_os: cygwin
>
> Try it without cygwin.  On my system, stat.ino is always 0.
>
> If anyone else is running plain windoze without cygwin, see if
> File.stat(path).ino is always 0.

hmmm.  you are right.  this seems to be a bug in ruby - amazing that no-one
has seen it before though?  it looks like this might be in rb_uint2big but i'm
kinda guessing since i can't compile on windows myself and therefore can't
look at config.h - except in cygwin, which works.  anyhow - the numbers spat
out in cygwin are huge - so i'm gussing the bug is here.  perhaps someone out
there with a windows compiler tool-chain could examine?

so, just to re-state the bug: File::stat(anypath).ino is always zero under the
one click installer, but not under cygwin using the default or compiling by
hand.

cheers.

-a