On 9/5/05, Charles Plager <cplager+news / physics.ucla.edu> wrote:

Charles: Go back to your bigot hole. Until you actually know what you're
talking about, you have no business in this particular discussion,
because you're merely spewing misinformation and bigotry.

> Austin Ziegler wrote:
>>>The things that drive me crazy about cmd.exe, and the reason I'd
>>>personally be looking for a replacement, are:
>>>   * Ridiculously hard to copy/paste
>> Um. If you have "QuickEdit" on (I *always* do), then any mouse
>> selection will set up copy. Enter is required to make it happen.
> The column copy mode by default is ridiculous.

Bollocks. The "smart" copy on Unix (that I've been dealing with since
1990 when I had access to the Sun lab at Boston University) is what's
stupid.

>>>   * Inability to resize the number of columns on the fly
>> This isn't something that has affected me often, but if you have
>> something where you want to unwrap long output, I can see that it
>> might bother you (because the shell forces a \r\n).
> I find that this can be a real problem (especially when running other
> people's programs)

I find it rarely. Usually running other people's programs. Maybe you
just don't know how to run programs cleanly on Windows, or you want to
treat Windows like Unix and kvetch when it doesn't work right.

>>> The block selection is sometimes convenient and the command history
>>> and path completion aren't substandard, but those are about the best
>>> things I can say about it.
>> Well, the other "best" thing is that it doesn't force you to adopt a
>> non-standard filesystem view.
> I think you don't understand the point of Cygwin: "Cygwin is a
> Linux-like environment for Windows."  If you don't like linux, then
> don't use Cygwin.

Don't go there. You don't know me, you don't know *shit* about what I
like or don't like. What I don't like are asinine platform bigots like
you who come spewing misinformation and bile. And no, Cygwin isn't a
Linux-like environment. It's a POSIX environment. It's also unstable,
unreliable, and badly configured by default.

FWIW, I *do* use Cygwin. When I have to. I also mostly use it for X so
that I can do ddd (or the equivalent) on the various Unix boxes for
which I develop. And have developed for a *long* time.

> If you're never going to work in a posix environment, then finding a
> good shell in windows is probably what you want to do.  If, however,
> you work both in Windows and Linux-land, then there aren't very

Wrong. Good developers know to use the best tools available for their
platform. On Linux, that's Xterm and descendants. On Windows, that's
*not* cygwin.

>> I do all of my Ruby development on Windows boxes. Those who were at
>> RubyConf last year saw my primary development platform (a Tablet PC).
> Well, that explains a lot.

Yes, it does. It explains that I like cool geek toys and am not a
platform bigot. Can you say the same, Chuck?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca