On 9/4/05, Gavin Kistner <gavin / refinery.com> wrote:
> On Sep 4, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> Frankly, cmd.exe is a lot better than most people think that it is.
>> I've never needed anything else, and prefer using cmd.exe than
>> cygwin/bash on Windows.
> The things that drive me crazy about cmd.exe, and the reason I'd
> personally be looking for a replacement, are:
>    * Ridiculously hard to copy/paste

Um. If you have "QuickEdit" on (I *always* do), then any mouse selection
will set up copy. Enter is required to make it happen.

>    * Inability to resize the number of columns on the fly

This isn't something that has affected me often, but if you have
something where you want to unwrap long output, I can see that it might
bother you (because the shell forces a \r\n).

> The block selection is sometimes convenient and the command history
> and path completion aren't substandard, but those are about the best
> things I can say about it.

Well, the other "best" thing is that it doesn't force you to adopt a
non-standard filesystem view.

That said, I do *most* of my work in Windows with Total Commander
(http://www.ghisler.com) that is well worth its shareware cost. There's
*nothing* better, IMO (and there's *absolutely nothing* equal in Linux).
I also use WinKey (that Copernic has just stopped distributing, so you
can use HotKee from the Code Project instead; it's just harder to set
up) to launch gvim and irb directly, as well as command windows when I
need them.

I do all of my Ruby development on Windows boxes. Those who were at
RubyConf last year saw my primary development platform (a Tablet PC).

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca