On Sep 3, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Sy Ali wrote:

> On 9/4/05, Joshua Haberman <joshua / reverberate.org> wrote:
>

>> http://silkscreen.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> In a word, it's designed to be an uber-scriptable text mode
>> environment, where you can run different sorts of applications in
>> nonoverlapping windows.  The first such application is a terminal
>> emulator like GNU screen, so that you can run a shell.
>>
>> And once you're running a shell, you could telnet to a MUD server.
>>

> Wait a second.. does this mean that I could also have a shell and have
> MUD-style scripting functionality with *any* pure-text console
> application from bash to .. anything?

In essence, yes.  And your scripts could do things like open other
terminals and send keystrokes to them.  Or add color to data as it
goes by (like compiler output).

There are a couple caveats.  It could be hard to set up the triggers
you want, because your terminal doesn't necessarily know what a
"line" of input is.  We can look for a "\n" in the input, but that
might not always work.  Consider an IRC client that has an area when
you edit your text.  When you hit "ENTER," the client will send your
text to the channel and clear the text area, but might never send a
"\n" to the terminal.  But you might be able to build some kind of
heuristic that looks for outgoing "ENTER" keypresses.

Josh