On 9/1/05, Morgan <taria / the-arc.net> wrote:
> As I understand it, each color would have it's own bit, right?
>
> So for ansi color that'd be 8 bits for basic colors, and a bit each for
> bold, italic, underline, and strikethrough. What else other protocols
> might need I'm not sure about, which is probably one of the things
> complicating this...

Well, you'd have one bit region for color. Colors are mutually
exclusive: you can't have text that's red and green at the same time.
So, for 8 ANSI colors as you said, the color bit region would be 3
bits.

On top of that, though, I'm of the camp that any markup should be
semantic, as opposed to immediate. Rather than marking a chunk of text
as "red", I'd prefer to mark it as, for instance "noun", and then the
client is at liberty how to display nouns (eg. by coloring them red).

One way to make this extensible is for the server to send a header
(once, on login) which defines the possible semantic flags and their
corresponding bit regions. That way one mud server can have one set of
flags, another have other sets of flags, or the same flags serialized
differently, and my client can interpret each appropriately.

This type of markup wouldn't handle the idea of embedded links very
well (it is possible though, ask if you want to know how) since it's
pretty much the equivalent of an XML tag with no attributes. But for
simple semantic markup it could work.

Jacob Fugal