On 9/1/05, Morgan <taria / the-arc.net> wrote:
> Sy wrote:
> >It may not be "that hard" for simple scripts, but more complex scripts
> >that do wierd things like yank out a previous command from the command
> >history aren't exactly portable concepts.
>
> I'm not quite sure why you'd want to do that, let alone how. `.`;

I can have the scripting notice if I was afk or sleeping or whatever,
and automatically perform an action and then repeat the command.  So I
can "look" while sleeping and it'll notice that I'm asleep and wake up
to perform the action.

For mmucl, it is:
parse [lindex [cline history] end]

This functionality has been remarkably valuable to me.  I hate going
"whoops, was afk..   afk <cursor-up> <enter>".. it's a small thing,
but very handy imo.

> >World-builders should, of course, still worry about certain standards,
> >which is a rant I won't get into here.. but long descriptions should
> >never be hand-wrapped.  That's just stupid.
>
> My experience with OLC suggests that the designers disagree with
> you. `.`

Well if I ever meat them in a dark alley, I'll punch their lights out.
 A lot of these old fashioned "standards" are just leftovers from more
shortsighted days.  Like, oh, email wrapping settings.  Geeze, offline
mail readers from the BBS days had it right, email clients these days
are just pathetic.

> Okay. The thing making this difficult is handling things that span across
> tags. Running a gsub that matches something entirely within a single
> tag won't produce problems, nor will reversing it, nor will anything else
> you do to it that I can think of. Matching a pattern across tags I'm
> pretty sure can be done, but it'll probably be a pain to do, and I'm starting
> to wonder if there's any point to it. Substitution across tags is probably
> doable if you can solve the pattern matching problem, but how do you
> decide sensibly what ends up in what tag?

That was some awesome description for reversing..

and it went sailing over my head.. whoa.  I see some of the problems
which people face with string manipulation like this.

But as a user, I could live without any kind of reversing
functionality.. I could live without matching by-colour in fancy ways.
 Substitution can be based on matching the plain text.. that's just
fine.