Ruby Quiz wrote:

> I just ran sixteen programs there all with exactly the same command, outlined in
> the quiz.  Five of the sixteen programs died with an exception.  Six more
> printed only an error message or couldn't find a chain.  That leaves us with
> five chains out of sixteen attempts, about a 31% accuracy ratio.  Yikes!

 From your original posting:

"Each word in the chain must be in the dictionary and every step along
the chain changes exactly one letter from the previous word."

So i would say printing no chain is exactly correct if there is no
suitable word in the dictionary (and there is no hint saying you can
alter the words in the dictionary).
Maybe it is a hint that 6 programs did actually refused to find a non
existing chain but only 5 did. Its the problem description thats weak,
at least it was misleading for me.

I realy wouldn't write this if you didn't stressed on it.

One of the programs that crashed was my second submission (it wasn't
even labeled as solution) that was just a try to make it as short as
possible (while still being kind of fast) and the change in interface
was clearly mentioned: "the dictionary is the optional third parameter,
no -d"

So, while i think you are in fact "free to ignore anything that creates
more work" i would like to ask you to realy _ignore_ it and stop making
us look stupid on your website.

Again, i realy appreciate this quiz - i wouldn't invest time otherwise -
but if your time (and i would without a doubt understand this) doesn't
allow you to look a bit closer, please make this beweekly or whatever.

with kind regards

Simon

p.s.: yes i'm a bit pissed off, but i will calm down soon :)