--- James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Eric Mahurin wrote:
>
> > Doing this would make the semantics for calling Object#send
> > different from every other method call.
>
> I disagree completely.  It would make send() function THE
> SAME as
> every other method call.  That makes a lot of sense to me.
>
> James Edward Gray II

We are talking about different things.  I agree that this
proposal would make obj.send(:meth,...) and send(:meth,...)
function just like obj.meth(...) and meth(...).  I'm talking
about about the fact that for all other methods, whether you
have receiver (self) or not doesn't affect the functionality -
only whether the method can be called because of protections.
For this particular method (send) in this proposal, it would
somehow be able to sense whether it was called with a receiver
or not and behave differently.