Bret Pettichord wrote:
> Watir is rapidly attracting users. (We pronounce it 'water'.)
>
> Many of our users are new to Ruby and even new to object-oriented
> languages.
>
> In fact, they can't tell where Watir ends and Ruby begins. Thus, they
> end up asking lots of questions to the Watir mailing list
> (wtr-general / rubyforge.org) that are really just Ruby questions.
>
> I gave a presentation of Watir's precursor at the Ruby Conference 2003
> in Austin. At that time, i said that we were using Ruby as our scripting
> language because it was intuitive and easy to learn for non-programmers.
>
> But now they are wanting to read data from spreadsheets or csv files or
> initialization files. Or they want to create libraries. Or they want
> help with Test::Unit.

I've some Watir tools that I've been meaning to clean up and package
nicely Real Soon Now, but have suspicions that it will never happen.

I wanted to have non-Rubyists run some tests, but didn't want to have to
coax them into installing Ruby.  Or learning Ruby, for that matter. I
sort of built up a DSL syntax as well, so that the test scripts were
simpler than straight Ruby, too.

I wrote an app that kicks off an instance of WEBrick, which looks into
a /scripts dir for user-defined test scripts, and creates a default home
page listing the available scripts, rendered by automagically launching
the default browser.  Clicking on a script link would run that script.
Error/info messages would then be displayed on another page as scripts
ran.

The code was bundled up using rubyscript2exe and packaged into a a zip
file so that one could just drop it someplace on a target machine, unzip
it to get a set of permanent directories (where one could store new test
scripts), and double-click the exe to run the script server.

It never gained any traction at the contract place I was working at the
time, but I use it all the time myself (though I don't bother bundling
it with rubyscript2exe for myself).

I don't think I really have time to follow another mailing list, but I'd
like to turn this code over to someone on the Watir team if they think
it useful.

Suggestions?

James Britt