BearItAll wrote:

> The Pragmatic Programmers guide is the next part of the puzzle. I
> think it was right to do other tutorials first, before getting
> the book or pdf, because although the book starts by assuming a
> new user of the language, it is much more pleasant to work
> through if you already have some ground work done.

What I find difficult about the book is that one keeps coming across
terms that are used before they're explained, which means a lot of
flicking backwards and forwards through the book. I was trying to
work out how to sort an array of [a, b] elements by the b value
yesterday, and sorting isn't covered at all well, other than in the
library sections. There are other cases of terms being used without
any useful explanation at all (scope, binding,...). Maybe they need
more input from newer users, I don't remember these issues with
Programming Perl, but maybe Larry Wall is a better author. Writing
good documentation is a whole different ball game from writing
clever programs.

And the 'Songs' database example the authors use through the first
sections just seems so lame...

(Good point, Einstein, as often the case the random sig thingie
ships in with an appropriate comment!)
--
Chris Game

"Keep things a simple as possible, but not simpler."
  -- Albert Einstein