Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: Method behaves differently when called using #send"
>     on Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:03:12 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto <matz / ruby-lang.org> writes:
>
> |Because I felt they are different, as I said above.  I admit fcall is
> |not the best name, but very few people would use it.
>
> OK, here's another idea.  How about
>
>   foo.send(:bar)
>
> calls only public methods and
>
>   send(:bar)
>
> calls private methods of the receiver as well?

At first glance that seems amazingly logical. But on second thought it
may be too logical. What of the use case where one purposefuly wishes
to call private method from the outside (you know "bad-form"
meta-programming stuff).

Hmm... The more I think about this, the more I think private/protected
methods are rather useless. All they do is prevent someone else from
calling a method --but isn't that really a documentation issue? Now if
private methods were truly local/in there own namespace, that would be
different.

 T.