Sy wrote:
> On 8/20/05, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> > On Aug 20, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Sy wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still looking for a Ruby-scriptable Telnet/MUD client.  Does
> > > anyone know of one?
> >
> > You could make one and make at least one person happy, it seems.  ;)
>
> I seriously thought of that.  Then I realised how dismayed I was when
> seeing other amateur-night software out there in a "category killer"
> position which has been left unfinished for years by the sole
> developer.
>
> Frankly, I wouldn't want to fall into that trap.
>
> Yes, this is a very very very big itch of mine.. but somehow a MUD
> client doesn't feel like a good newbie project to me.
>
> But it seems so easy.. argh.
>
> I'll think about it.

I think a MUD is a good newbie project. I would recommend starting writing
code. You will learn as you go, especially if you bounce ideas off more
experienced Rubyists. You could ask questions on this list. This way, you
avoid only half-owning the project. And you can rewrite it later, when you
figure out how you should have written it.

Cheers,
Dave