Firstly, English verb conjugation isn't very simple.

Secondly, French verb conjugation - while being much easier in some
respects than English - isn't particularly easy either.

There are three groups... each less regular than the last.

The first (-er) is totally regular. (rester - je reste, tu restes, on/
il/elle reste, ils/elles restent, nous restons, vous restez)
The second (-re) is somewhat regular, but there are quite a few
exceptions.
The third (-ir) is even less regular - having two subsections, and
very many exceptions.

And then there are the irregulars (such as ?tre, avoir, and a bunch
of others), which are totally irregular... although so frequently
used easy to learn when one is learning French.

So that's total rubbish.

Julian.