Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> David A. Black writes:
>
> |Here's another idea:
> |
> |Kernel#send
> |Kernel#send!   # dangerous version, includes private methods
>
> It's bit different from my sense of dangerousness, but let me
> consider.
>
> matz.

[replying to David]

It's easy to understand the meaning of #send! when reading
this thread because it is within context but, as Matz implies,
bang! methods usually provide the destructive counterpart
of a non-bang method (i.e. an object is modified in place
rather than being copied first).
     -- Yes, I know you know that :-)

There's nothing inherently dangerous about bang methods;
we use them quite safely.

Calling private methods could be dangerous but overloading
the meaning of the "!" suffix needs careful consideration
and I understand Matz' concern.

Having said that, my initial reaction to #send! was positive
and, for insiders like yourself and for me too, it should be
easy to remember -- for teaching and learning, though, it
may create an obstacle.

With 5 votes in support, I felt there was room for some balance.
Any of the +1 voters strong enough to change their mind ?

daz

P.S.  A ham sandwich is better than #fcall :-D  [SCNR]