Daniel Amelang wrote:

>Is Array#replace what you're looking for?

Possibly.  Array#replace seems to be like collect!, it's a nicer way
around the specific problem for Array only.  Well, *some* classes only.
Hash, String and Array all seem to have #replace.  But Fixnum, Bignum,
Float, and File (to name the few I just tested right now) do not.

I'm asking to see if there's a general way to do it in any class.

Actually, replace is an even better example of my question.  How would
you implement #replace in an arbitrary class that didn't already support
it, such as Float or StringIO?

-dB

--
David Brady