Hmm, maybe I should have said something about why I'm not considering nedit
for the editing component:

   * I am, but for one thing I haven't discussed it so far with the nedit
developers, and there are a few (potential problems)
      * I'm not sure that it is currently available as a component, nor that
anyone is working on such, nor that any of the developers would have any
interest in supporting / helping make it into a component
      * folding in nedit is not well supported--what I mean is that my folding
macros really fold and unfold a line (i.e., either show a block of text as a
block of text, or fold (unfold) it into one long line that stretches off to
the right--as long as I view lines like that with wrap set to none, the line
does stretch far off to the right and I can treat it as folded--there is no
(simple) way to really hide text in nedit
      * a minor issue is the somewhat dated look due to the Motif/Lesstif
stuff that it is based on
      * nedit expects that if I send text to another application the other
application will send back something to be inserted into the file in place of
that text (therefore it deletes that text--I need to make that behavior
optional so that text sent to another application is not deleted (of course,
a workaround is to have that other application send back a copy of the
original text--I'm not sure how difficult that might be, and in any case it
is more cumbersome than necessary)

There may be some other issues that I can't think of or am not aware of at the
moment.

If I haven't said it earlier, nedit is snappy in my machines with the typical
mix of applications I run.

regards,
Randy Kramer

On Saturday 27 August 2005 03:17 pm, Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 07:56 pm, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> > Sounds like a challenge. But please contact me, if you want to
> > participate in a little experiment.
>
> I'll start by saying "maybe".
---<my stuff snipped>---