On Friday 26 August 2005 07:56 pm, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Sounds like a challenge. But please contact me, if you want to
> participate in a little experiment.

I'll start by saying "maybe".

You should know that I'm not the OP, and I was commenting to him rather than
expressing my own search for a snappy cross-platform IDE, in fact I'm fairly
happy with nedit for the time being (more below) and am taking a sojourn into
lisp and therefore spending some time with emacs/xemacs.

But:

   * I'm always on the lookout for a better editor, and

   * I'm looking for an editing component (widget, control, ...) for a project
I'd like to do

For that project, I'd like to find an editing component that:
   * is snappy, even on slower overloaded machines
   * without listing all of them at the moment, has all the typical features
of an editor, and in addition has the following:
      * customizable syntax highlighting
      * keyboard macros (Arachno has this, according to
http://www.ruby-ide.com/ruby/features.php)
      * a macro language, and
      * which can be integrated with recorded keyboard macros (it is quite
common for me to start writing a macro by recording keystrokes.  That macro
may not have all the features I need (especially conditionals) so I am used
to taking that macro and adding code from the macro language so that it can
do everything I need)
      * folding based on custom "sentinels" or features of the file (I have
nedit macros that fold on any TWiki level heading (i.e., on "---+ " through
"---++++++ ")
      * in the macros, the ability to define a portion of a file and search
within that portion (that's not explained very well (I'm not sure I'm stating
all the requirements), but here's an alternate explanation: I have files in
which I store multiple records (separated by a record separator string
(currently "---++ ", but intended to be easily changable)).  I have nedit
macros that can search the file and find records that contain all of a list
of search terms.
      * able to export selected records to another application for further
processing (sort of like an abiltiy to sort, although the first external
application will not return any results, the record is just specially
formatted and displayed for the user) (so, in fact, unlike the similar
capability in nedit, I need an option that either deletes the text sent to
the other application for replacement by what is sent back from that
application, or that does not delete that text (as nothing will be sent back
from that application)
      * written in a language that I can grok so if necessary I can customize
it still further (and with a license that lets me do that)
      * usable at resolutions from 640x480 and up

This was just a quick off the top of my head list--if Arachno satisfies these
criteria I may need to look a little closer.

What is the editor component in Arachno written in?  Does it have any sort of
open source license?  Does it have the features listed above?

> I would like to prepare a special optimnized version of ArachnoRuby for you
> that runs on such slow machines. It will contain no debugging code at all.
> I did this in the past for someone who tried it on a 450 Apple G4 Cube,
> and i worked snappy - except that the MacOSX port is not very bugfree
> at the moment.

It would be wonderful if Arachno would satisfy me in all the respects listed
above.  If not, perhaps someone else on the list is interested in testing out
the special optimized version.

regards,
Randy Kramer