On 26 Aug 2005, at 20:07, Kevin Brown wrote:

> On Friday 26 August 2005 12:53, Eric Hodel wrote:

>>> If I don't want db/db to live here?  It's a seperate process...?
>>>

>> db/db may be a huge object that you wouldn't want sent across the
>> wire, or its a lot of code that doesn't need to be loaded.
>
> Ok, that makes sense...  I don't want it marshalled, just need
> proxy objects,
> and that's why I've been using the undumped...
>
>>> I'm totally lost as to A) Why that class would exist here, and B)
>>> Why it existing here would cause DRb to not be able to call one of
>>> my methods in the listener class?
>>
>> A) DRb tries to marshal objects when communicating.  If DRb can't
>> marshal the object, it sends a DRbObject proxy instead.
>
> Exactly what I want. :-)
>
>> B) When DRb is trying to send marshaled objects back and forth, both
>> sides need the class definition or the object needs to be undumpable.
>
> Ok, DB is a gigantic class, that depends on a large pile of
> subclasses.  The
> part that's getting me is that the DRb proxy object is obviously
> correctly
> associated with the Listener class.  The error comes from the call
> inside the
> listener when it calls @db.login(user).  The user I'm passing in
> was just to
> reproduce the error, but if it did execute correctly, an error
> would be
> raised from my code.  I know the User is fine as far as the
> listener call is
> concerned.

Its hard to say what exactly is wrong without being able to tinker
with it :(  Did you see my other email about adding DRbUndumped to
the User class?

Even if you mark a class as Undumped, objects generated by the class
may be marshaled and returned across the wire.

> So, my confusion now lies in the fact that I really just want DRb
> to send the
> message to the server, and back off while that happens.  It still
> seems to
> want to do it on the client side via marshalling, but I'm new
> enough to this
> I could be on total crack. :-)

If you could reduce your failure to something that is easily
distributable, I could help more.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04