On 8/25/05, Tanaka Akira <akr / m17n.org> wrote:
> In article <033601c5a9fa$26ba7840$6442a8c0@musicbox>,
>   "Bill Kelly" <billk / cts.com> writes:
>
> > Wow - the main thing holding back progress on this front is
> > method names?  I could embrace connect_nonblock or nbconnect,
> > there.
>
> Do you have a problem with threads?
>
> If you use threads, nonblocking methods are not required in general.
>
> I'd like to know why people doesn't use threads.

Performance and resource consumption is it for me.  I have a
client/server transaction processing application written in twisted
that can do about 300 tps and use less then 5% of the cpu on a 3ghz
pentium.  Each transaction does 2-3 database queries, an http post to
a remote server, and some text formatting.    It does use a thread
pool for database connections but that's it.  Since the http post
takes 2-3 seconds to complete, there are anywhere from 900 to 2000
active client connections at any one time.  The server uses a steady
30mb of ram the whole time.

Chris