Tesla wrote:

> In a backwards move I have gone from CentOS (fedora) to Xandros
> (debian) because the fonts were driving me crazy. Now I find that it
> is impossoble to find a debian package for ruby and rails. Anyone know
> of one or a solution to the problem? I am not against compiling if I
> can get a good apt-get source and it does not destroy Xandros in the
> process.

Debian vs. Ruby is a Tale of Woe of epic proportions.  My understanding
is the authors wanted you to be able to get "just the part you need",
but my experience has been one of constantly finding pieces missing.

I solved the problem with this really, REALLY grody hack:

for pkg in $(apt-cache search ruby | grep -E '^lib' | grep -v 'ruby1.6'
| awk '{print $1}' | wc -l); do echo "Installing $pkg..."; sudo apt-get
--yes --force-yes install $pkg; done

That will install about 95 packages.  It's messy and gross, and you'll
end up with a bunch of fiddly weird packages installed, but it worked
for me.

I'm hardly a linux or Debian guru, but sometimes hitting a particularly
annoying problem with a gigantic stone axe is really satisfying.  :-)

Doesn't get you gem or Rails, however.  *sigh*  Did I mention the
proportions were epic?  :-)

-dB

--
David Brady