I'm having difficulty using #send to call methods in
some of my classes.   In the example shown below,
I can call the method "y" directly with no problems,
but when I try to call it using send I get an
ArgumentError.

 >> es.y
=> 30.468257171342
 >> es.send(:y)
         from (irb):7:in `y'
         from (irb):7

Other methods seem to work just fine using send.

 >> es.x
=> -84.2674903100158
 >> es.send(:x)
=> -84.2674903100158

This class happens to be an ActiveRecord class
and x and y came from columns in the database,
so unfortunately I don't really know what source
code I could post here to help track this down.

Can anyone think of what I could look for so I
can call y using send or where I should look for
further information to understand why it's not working?

    Thanks,
    Ron