Thanks to all of you about my earlier question..  I had retyped on the linux
box and made the spelling mistake.  I will be more careful next time. Thanks
again.
May be one more question about debugging

How do you debug a ruby code.  I tried debugging ruby code by using
      ruby -r debug testfile
But how do you step into an external  code?
--------------------------
I have the following c routine (I have been reading the ruby book about
extensions). I want to define a global  variable that can be shared between
ruby and c
which is a hardware_list as defined in the ruby book
------------file:  share.c------------------
#include "ruby.h"

VALUE hardware_list;

void Init_Share(){
  hardware_list = rb_ary_new();
  rb_define_variable("$hardware", &hardware_list);
  /*
   * push some elts into array
   */
  rb_ary_push(hardware_list, rb_str_new2("DVD"));
  rb_ary_push(hardware_list, rb_str_new2("CDPlayer1"));
  rb_ary_push(hardware_list, rb_str_new2("CDPlayer2"));

}
-------file: extconf.rb------------------------
require 'mkmf'
create_makefile("Share")

--------file: share.rb-------------------------
require "Share"
print "in share.rb\n"
print $hardware
----file: run script------------------------------------------
   rm *.o
   rm Share.so
   ruby extconf.rb
   make
   ruby share.rb
I tried debugging using
   ruby -r debug share.rb
but I can not step into the c code using step.  Also, How do you write a
block of comments in ruby code.

Thanks again.
                                                                Ram Kochhar