"Conrad Schneiker" <schneiker / jump.net> writes:

> I think this is unfortunate, because newsgroups (over time) can help greatly
> increase the number of prospective users for emerging languages beyond the
> comparatively much smaller group of hard core fans. In this part of the
> world anyway, it seems to be generally much easier to get friends and
> coworkers to look at newsgroups than to sign up for mail lists, and it
> likewise seems generally easier to get approval to use things that have
> their own newsgroups. These are all very important factors if you want Ruby
> to ever attract and develop the resources to produce even a fraction of the
> number, quality, and range of modules and documentation that have made Perl
> so popular and productive.

I think there are two separate issues here:

1. Getting comp.lang.ruby agreed.

2. Providing people with a means of exchanging information
   effectively.

Conrad is right, in that there is a cachet and a certain amount of
practicality in getting a newsgroup going. It will help us reach a far
wider audience, particularly among the lurkers--people who will
monitor a newsgroup, but who wouldn't give their e-mail address away
to a  mailing list.

But... many people will prefer the mailing-list to newsgroups. Some
cannot access Usenet from work. Some prefer the immediacy of
e-mail. Whatever the reason, we need to cater for them.

So, why don't we agree now that we will establish a bi-directional
gateway between this list and the newsgroup. For a while, I belongs to
comp.sys.stratus, which does this. It worked out well.

(Now, does anyone have any idea _how_ we do this?? ;-)

Regards

Dave