Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 August 2005 01:55 pm, Rob . wrote:
> ---<good stuff snipped>---
>
> I wasn't going to mention nedit (my favorite editor for five years now, since
> I moved from Windows), because I didn't realize it was cross platform:
>
> from http://www.nedit.org/:
>
> "NEdit was originally developed on a Unix system and is available on all major
> Unix and Linux systems. But NEdit can also run on other platforms, if there
> is a working X Window environment available. For instance, NEdit runs on
> MacOS X, OS/2 and MS Windows. The platforms and toolkit pages contain more
> details."
>
> I'd almost guarantee it does Ruby syntax highlighting, but if it doesn't, it
> has a macro language to let you add that and almost any other feature that
> you might think of.  (But, not to mislead anyone, it does have a lot of
> features built in.  It always seems fast (seems likely since it's written in
> C) and I edit 1.5 MB files frequently every day.
>
> (It does have a few quirks, some of them related to the Motif/Lesstif GUI it
> uses.)
>
> Randy Kramer

I've put some ruby-related nedit stuff, including syntax hilighting, at

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby_nedit/

Getting off topic: I like nedit, but ever since I switched from
mandrake 10.1 to ubuntu hoary it's window focus has been behaving
strangely. For example, if I use Alt-D completion (or any Alt or Ctrl
command), and the mouse is outside the text area, then after the
completion, the text area refuses to accept input. The window doesn't
lose focus (in fact, if I do Alt-F Escape, I can then type normally
again). If the mouse is inside the text area, then it's all ok.

This happens with or without my own .nedit file, and it even happens in
a blank user I just created with no special X settings, and it happens
under KDE or under Gnome. I even tried building nedit from source,
rather than use the ubuntu deb, and that didn't make a difference.

Just thought I'd ask here in case anyone knew...