On Wednesday 24 August 2005 01:55 pm, Rob . wrote:
---<good stuff snipped>---

I wasn't going to mention nedit (my favorite editor for five years now, since
I moved from Windows), because I didn't realize it was cross platform:

from http://www.nedit.org/:

"NEdit was originally developed on a Unix system and is available on all major
Unix and Linux systems. But NEdit can also run on other platforms, if there
is a working X Window environment available. For instance, NEdit runs on
MacOS X, OS/2 and MS Windows. The platforms and toolkit pages contain more
details."

I'd almost guarantee it does Ruby syntax highlighting, but if it doesn't, it
has a macro language to let you add that and almost any other feature that
you might think of.  (But, not to mislead anyone, it does have a lot of
features built in.  It always seems fast (seems likely since it's written in
C) and I edit 1.5 MB files frequently every day.

(It does have a few quirks, some of them related to the Motif/Lesstif GUI it
uses.)

Randy Kramer