Jeff,

From: "Jeff Wood" <jeff.darklight / gmail.com>

> The truely iterative & testing-complete way to build software is to
> design and implement your tests before you write your code.  When all
> of your tests pass, you're done...
>
> ... If you built your system like that, you should have tests for each
> and every action on your classes ... and the first time somebody elses
> modifications has an affect on your functionality and expected output,
> you should know about it.

I appreciate the well-meaning nature of your replies, but I've
been programming for 24 years and doing TDD semi-consistently
for the last 5.

Again, I'd ask to see what sort of test you'd propose that would
catch the problem I described.  (My post, the one you quoted, was
about CGI, not the Logger.)

> To answer "how/why would you test this"... you should have tests in
> place for your logging functionality.  The second something doesn't
> come out right, you know that something is marring the system.
> Debugging starts by walking the source of the packages you are using
> and watching for references to the modified functionality... It's not
> that hard to track down.

Thanks for the tip.   =D

I also would ask again, Do you not consider libraries and applications
different, where Ruby's beloved Openness is concerned?

Regards,

Bill