Hello Eric,

EH> On 23 Aug 2005, at 13:24, Mark Volkmann wrote:

>> It's unclear to me what I can expect ri to know about. Does this
>> differ depending on whether I used the one-click installer or built
>> from source? Should ri know about every built-in class/module? Should
>> ri know about anything in the standard library? When I install
>> something new, do the installers typically add documentation that is
>> accessible to ri?

EH> ri should know about just about everything in the core.  It should
EH> know about all extensions mentioned in ext/.document, and all
EH> standard library classes/modules mentioned in lib/.document in the
EH> source.

No. At least not the ri database that comes with the one-click-installer.
It only nows everything (at least what is documented) inside ruby.exe

EH> Currently, rubygems does not generate ri information.  It is
EH> commented out.

Which is good, because ri has a broken design that does not fullfill with
the purpose of a package manager. It would otherwise slowly fill your
system with garbage. I worked around that in ArachnoRuby, but it
should be fixed in "rdoc.rb".