Christian Neukirchen wrote:

>Remember kids, blindly doing what ESR says doesn't make you anything
>remotely to hacker.

Remember kids, blindly rejecting what ESR says doesn't make you anything
remotely akin to a hacker, either.

You have to think for yourself.  'blindly' anything != hacker nature.

I've met Eric and I like him; I also recognized the logo and it's a
pleasant little thought that turns over in my head comfortably.  So I
like the logo.  I'm not a "logo-using" kind of guy, though.  I saw it
and said, "ah-ha", and doodled a glider in the margin of my journal, and
that'll probably be the end of it.

Hackers tend to be nonconformists, so Christian's reaction is a natural
one.  But, in all their nonconformity, they often have common traits and
behaviors.  Eric is trying to introduce a new behavior, to see if
hackers will adopt it as a common trait.  What blows me away is the
realization of what he's really trying to do: hack the hacker culture
itself.  What remains to be seen is if the idea can be divorced from
"something ESR said" and stand on its own as an independent concept.
Give it a few years to become Lost in the Lore, then see if the kids
start using without knowing who started it.

-dB

--
David Brady
ruby-talk / shinybit.com