Sorry I have misunderstood you a little.

You have said that gem have no internet activity.
In my case gem download something from gems.rubyforge.org with a very
slow speed. It is definitely not a network lags. I tried to wait for
completion of 'gem install rails' but after 30 minutes of running I
have no results, just "Updating Gem source index for:
http://gems.rubyforge.org"  (for this time gem downloads ~4Megs)

Whats wrong here?

--
anatol