On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:38:35 +0900, Josh Charles wrote:

>> I get as far as the default page 'Congratulations your on rails' but get
>> no further in any tutorial that I have tried.
>
> If you get this, then you are up and running on rails.

No I'm afraid that isn't right. You can pull the index.html local have and
open it on a machine with no rails installed. It really is just a plain
html default page.

>> The next part is to add a controller,
>>
>> script/generate controller MyTest
>>
>> It generates the files.
>
> Are you doing all the development on the server?  That might be the
> cause of some of your problems.  I don't know how often the fcgi
> module will load up your new code.  I use the same hosting company,
> but haven't had any problems.
>
> What I would suggest is developing on your local machine and then just
> copying your code over to the server using sFTP, or your technology of
> choice.  If you're still have problems after that, perhaps it's
> another issue.
>
> Make sense?
>
> Josh

As far as I can tell it can't be that I am working directly on the site,
the cookbook example has been there for a week now and fcgi hasn't stepped
into action.

When I work locally I just use vi for all my editing, I have tried other
editors but for the sake of speed of working I tend to slip back to vi. So
working in an ssh shell on the host is better for me.

Out of interest, if you run either of the dispatch.cgi scripts directly
from the command line, do you get a html page that says 'Routing error'?