On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 09:36:17PM +0900, Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:
> >>I think we should purchase www.ruby.net - it's much cleaner and
> >>easy-to-pass-on-to-others than www.ruby-lang.org, it's shorter, and it's
> >>up for sale (www.ruby.org isn't being used for a website, but I don't
> >>think it's for sale). I'd be happy to chip in with some cash if we
> >>decide to buy it.
> >
> >Even shorter:
> >
> >  http://ru.by/
> >
> >Nobody in Belarus? ;)
>
> While it definately sounds cool, I think people are most comfortable
> with .com, .org and .net domains. Getting the .com would actually be the
> best (even though ruby isn't commercial in any way), since ruby.com is
> the first place people would look if they heard the name "Ruby".

Indeed.

> If there are no objections to the idea I think we should find someone
> trustworthy, send him some money and have him purchase the domain (I'm
> kinda new here, so I don't think that many people will trust me with
> their money). If there's another method you prefer, don't be afraid to
> write it here. I've never done this before, so I won't flame you...

Registering a .net domain at a Dutch company I know is EUR 7.50 (about
9.00 USD) per year (a great company btw, as in:  they regularly send
customer surveys about what's good and bad and they actually act on it?!
-- recommended for Dutch people), so I think the money isn't the issue
here. I say this just to give an estimate about what the costs are.
But the problem is indeed continuity and maintenance. Who is going to
keep it up for the years coming?

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paul / luon.net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | JID: paul / luon.net