On 19 Aug 2005, at 04:33, James Britt wrote:
[snip]
> I find this somewhat baffling.  I'm aware that Matz was influenced
> by certain aspects of Perl, but I really don't see any alleged
> "Perl roots" when coding Ruby.  (My biased take is that this is
> something Pythonitas like to toss out about any language that
> allows more than one way to do anything.)  There are things common
> to both languages, but not unique to  the pair.

As somebody who used/uses Perl a great deal I found Ruby felt very
natural.

Most of the things I liked in Perl (unless, postfix conditionals,
closures, procs, map, can write in procedural/function/OO styles,
etc.) are in Ruby, and most of the things I hate (clumsy OO syntax,
clumsy exception syntax, object/non-object divide, etc.) are absent.

Of course Ruby isn't just Perl++. It has a whole bunch if interesting
and useful differences in approach. However, when it comes to the way
they treat the developer Perl and Ruby (and Lisp come to that) seem
to sit on one side of a divide with languages like Java and Python on
the other.

[snip]
> I wouldn't try to lure Perl developers to Ruby with any suggestions
> that they can go write Ruby code with a Perl mindset or style.
> That's asking for trouble.

I think the issue may be that there isn't /a/ Perl mindset or style.
Sure the Perl folk who enjoy writing obfuscated line noise are not
going to enjoy Ruby. The Perl folk who are happily writing reliable,
maintainable code love it too death.

That's been my experience anyway.

Adrian